Dr. Michelangelo Masini and Frank Seitzinger of ZEISS Medical Technology were awarded the Deutscher Zukunftspreis 2020 (The Federal President's Award for Innovation and Technology) jointly with Professor Andreas Raabe of the Swiss Inselspital (Bern University Hospital) for their project “ZEISS KINEVO® 900 Robotic Visualization System” which improves the efficiency and effectiveness of surgical procedures. German Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier presented the prize for technology and innovation in Berlin on 25 November to the three team representatives. The jury's decision is based on the degree of scientific and technical innovation and the potential to translate this achievement into future-proof jobs. For the first time a Carl Zeiss Meditec project has been awarded this important prize.
The global population is growing and with it the average life expectancy. An older population requires more medical treatment and according to some studies, by 2030, 5 billion humans will have access to advanced medical care. Healthcare systems across the world can only address this growing demand if they become more efficient and effective. Modern technology, such as digital tools and AI, supports healthcare providers with these treatment modalities. ZEISS KINEVO 900 has done exactly that for the fields of spine and neurosurgery, introducing robotics, digital visualization and advanced augmentation.
...to deliver more functionalities than any surgical microscope today.
...combine robotics, digital visualization and advanced assistance solutions to give the provider as much information as possible to improve the outcome of the treatment.
Through automation and robotics, ZEISS KINEVO 900 replaces unwanted manual adjustment with robotic movement, reducing cumbersome disturbances for the user workflow:
- The press of a button allows the surgeon to return to a point of interest quickly, which might be helpful in case of bleeding.
- Pivoting around a fixed point with the help of a foot control panel allows users to keep their hands in the surgical field and concentrate on their task.
Modern visualization technology is at the brink of a major shift, from classical optical to fully digital:
- Overlaid surgical approaches or highlighted tissue structures that can be shown on 4K 3D monitors.
- Extraction of information from the image – for overlays of fluorescence images or intraoperative visualization of blood flow – to increase surgical insights during the procedure.
More information means better informed decision making and a potentially more effective treatment for the patient.
Traditional visualization tools, such as surgical microscopes, were limited to direct line of sight. To see hidden structure, the surgical workflow had to be interrupted to bring in other modalities.
- With the plug-in tool QEVO® from ZEISS, the ZEISS KINEVO 900 has a micro-inspection tool tailored to the microsurgical use case, allowing the surgeon to look around corners.
- Seeing behind a treated aneurysm to ensure the clip is placed correctly or looking up into a tumor cavity to ensure no unhealthy tissue remains, are just two examples of what is possible.
Prof. Dr. Andreas Raabe from the Swiss Inselspital (University Hospital of Bern) was part of the development of the new system from the conceptual phase all the way through to the clinical evaluation period. He was a crucial partner in giving invaluable insights for the transfer of the technology into clinical practice and was a key stakeholder behind some of the innovative fluorescence technologies.
Dr. Michelangelo Masini built up the innovation team to create market-shaping innovations with clinical partners and to achieve commercialization readiness.
Frank Seitzinger, as the head of the business sector, had to ensure all relevant market needs got translated into product requirements and later was responsible for a successful market introduction.
The three led an international realization team of more than 300 engineers, scientists and project team members, as well as external partners. They managed to make ZEISS KINEVO 900 a global industry leading success story that is valued by many healthcare providers and institutions.