Cleaning optical surfaces
To protect the internal optics from dust, the system should never be left without the objective lens, binocular tube and eyepieces. After use, cover the system to protect it from dust.
Clean the exterior surfaces of the optical components (eyepieces, objective lenses) only when necessary:
- Do not use any chemical agents.
- Remove dust from the optical surfaces using a squeeze blower or a clean, grease-free brush.
For the regular cleaning of objective lenses and eyepieces of the surgical microscope, we recommend the optics cleaning set available from ZEISS.
Cleaning mechanical surfaces
All mechanical surfaces of the system can be cleaned by wiping them with a damp cloth. Do not use any aggressive or abrasive cleaning agents. Clean off any residue using a mixture of 50% ethyl alcohol and 50% distilled water plus a dash of household dish-washing liquid.
Disinfecting mechanical surfaces
If the system surfaces need to be disinfected, please note the maximum concentrations are:
- For alcohol (tested with 2 propanol): 60%
- For aldehyde (tested with glutaraldehyde): 2%
- For quaternary compounds (tested with DDAC): 0.2%
The use of unauthorized disinfectants can cause the paint on the device to become damaged.
- Use a disinfectant based on aldehyde or alcohol. The addition of quaternary compounds is acceptable.
- To avoid damaging the surfaces, do not use any disinfecting components other than those specified above.
For more information, please refer to the microscope user manual.
Due to the current worldwide corona pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends disinfecting surfaces with a disinfectant solution of at least 70% alcohol.
ZEISS confirms that, based on experience, there is no risk of disinfecting the surfaces of our surgical microscopes with such solutions. It cannot be excluded that surfaces can become dull or matt. It is also possible that adhesive labels may become detached during long-term exposure, but not fall off.
However, this does not at any time affect the performance characteristics of the systems or pose a risk to the patient or user.
IMPORTANT: It is always recommended to follow cleaning instructions outlined in the user manual for each ZEISS instrument.