Combine imaging and analytical performance of a high resolution field emission scanning electron microscope (FE-SEM) with the processing ability of a next-generation focused ion beam (FIB). You may be working in a multi-user facility, as an academic or in an industrial lab. Take advantage of ZEISS Crossbeam’s modular platform concept and upgrade your system with growing needs. During milling, imaging or when performing 3D analytics Crossbeam will speed up your FIB applications.
- Extract true sample information from your high resolution SEM images using Gemini electron optics
- The Ion-sculptor FIB column introduces a new way of FIB-processing: by minimizing sample damage you’ll maximize sample quality and perform experiments faster at the same time
- When preparing TEM samples use the low voltage capabilities of the Ion-sculptor FIB: get ultra-thin samples while keeping amorphization damage at a minimum
- Within the ZEISS Crossbeam Family, either exploit the variable pressure capabilities of Crossbeam 350
- Or use Crossbeam 550 for your most demanding characterizations. Enjoy even more options with the large chamber.
Take advantage of achieving up to 30% better SEM resolution at low voltage.
- Count on the SEM performance of your ZEISS Crossbeam for 2D surface sensitive images or when performing 3D tomography
- Benefit from high resolution, contrast and signal-to-noise ratios, even when using very low accelerating voltages
- Characterize your sample comprehensively with a range of detectors. Get pure materials contrast with the unique Inlens EsB detector
- Investigate non-conductive specimens undisturbed by charging artifacts.
Profit from up to 40% faster material removal by the introduction of intelligent FIB milling strategies.
- Use the gallium FIB column Ion-sculptor for a new way of FIB-processing
- Get high quality samples, minimize FIB-induced damage and perform experiments faster at the same time
- Manipulate your samples precisely and fast by using up to 100 nA current without compromising FIB resolution
- Profit from speed and precision of intelligent FIB scanning strategies for material removal and perform your experiments up to 40% faster than before
Enjoy the benefits of integrated 3D analysis for EDS and EBSD investigations.
- Expand the capacity of your Crossbeam with ZEISS Atlas 5, the market-leading package for fast, precise tomography
- Perform EDS and EBSD analysis during tomography runs with the integrated 3D Analytics module of ZEISS Atlas 5
- Profit from best 3D resolution and leading isotropic voxel size in FIB-SEM tomography. Probe less than 3 nm in depth and produce surface sensitive, material contrast images using the Inlens EsB detector
- Save time by collecting your serial section images while milling. Take advantage of trackable voxel sizes and automated routines for active control of image quality
Crossbeam offers a complete solution for preparing ultra-thin, high quality TEM samples at high throughput, ready for analysis in transmission imaging mode, in TEM or STEM.
1. Automated navigation to the specimen’s region of interest (ROI)
- Begin the workflow without time-consuming search for the ROI
- Use the navigation camera on the airlock to locate specimens
- The integrated user interface makes it easy to navigate to your ROI
- Benefit from the large, distortion-free field of view in the SEM
2. Automated Sample Preparation (ASP) to prepare a lamella out of the bulk
- Start the preparation with a simple three-step process: ASP
- Define the recipe including drift correction, deposition and coarse and fine milling
- The ion optics of the FIB column enables high throughput for the workflow
- Duplicate the recipe and repeat as often as required in order to start a batch preparation
3. Lift out
- Bring in the micromanipulator and attach the lamella to its tip
- Cut out the lamella from the bulk
- The lamella is then ready for lift out and can be transferred to a TEM grid
4. Thinning: the final step is crucial, as it defines the quality of your TEM lamella
- The instrument’s design allows you to reach a desired thickness of the lamella by enabling live monitoring of the thinning
- Use two detector signals in parallel to judge lamella thickness and obtain reproducible end thickness on the one hand (with the SE detector) and to control surface quality on the other hand (with the Inlens SE detector)
- Prepare high quality samples with negligible amorphization
SEM Electron Optics
The FE-SEM column of ZEISS Crossbeams is based on Gemini electron optics as all ZEISS FE-SEMs. Decide on the Gemini VP column of Crossbeam 350 or the Gemini II column of Crossbeam 550.
Field emission SEMs are designed for high resolution imaging. Key to the performance of a field emission SEM is its electron optical column. Gemini technology comes with all ZEISS FE-SEMs and FIB-SEMs: it is tailored for excellent resolution on any sample, especially at low accelerating voltages, for complete and efficient detection, and ease-of-use.
Gemini Optics is Characterized by Three Main Components
- The Gemini objective lens design combines electrostatic and magnetic fields to maximize optical performance while reducing field influences at the sample to a minimum. This enables excellent imaging, even on challenging samples such as magnetic materials.
- Gemini beam booster technology, an integrated beam deceleration, guarantees small probe sizes and high signal-to-noise ratios.
- The Gemini Inlens detection concept ensures efficient signal detection by detecting secondary (SE) and backscattered (BSE) electrons in parallel minimizing time-to-image.
Benefits for Your FIB-SEM Applications
- Long-term stability of the SEM alignment and the effortless way it adjusts all system parameters such as probe current and acceleration voltage
- Achieve distortion-free, high resolution imaging even over large fields of view with the help of the near magnetic-field free optics
- Tilt the specimen without influencing the electron optical performance
- Maximum sample flexibility in multi-purpose environments
- In situ experiments with outgassing or charging samples
- Unique Gemini material contrast with the Inlens EsB detector
- High resolution even at low voltage and high current thanks to the double condenser system
- More information in less time with high resolution imaging and fast analytics
- Unique topographical and material contrast with simultaneous Inlens SE and EsB imaging
Gemini Novel Optics
High resolution imaging at low landing energy is required for beam sensitive, non-conductive samples. A two-step deceleration modus, the Tandem decel, is now introduced to ZEISS Crossbeam 550.
Today’s SEM applications demand high resolution imaging at low landing energy as a standard. It is essential for:
- beam sensitive samples
- non-conductive materials
- gaining true sample surface information without undesirable background signal from deeper sample layers
The novel Gemini optics are optimized for resolutions at low and very low voltages and for contrast enhancement.
Technological characteristics are the high gun resolution mode and the optional Tandem decel.
- The high gun resolution mode results in minimized chromatic aberration thanks to of a reduction of primary energy width by 30%.
Tandem decel, now introduced to ZEISS Crossbeam 550, can be used in two different modes:
- Tandem decel, a two-step deceleration mode, combines the beam booster technology with a high negative bias voltage that is applied to the sample: the electrons of the primary electron beam are decelerated, thus the landing energy is effectively reduced
- Apply a variable negative bias voltage between 50 V and 100 V. One application mode enhances the contrast of your images
- Apply a negative bias voltage between 1 kV and 5 kV and improve the low kV resolution of your images
The Ion-sculptor FIB column speeds up your FIB work without compromising machining precision and lets you benefit of its low voltage performance for any sample.
The ZEISS Crossbeam Family carries the next-generation focused ion beam column, Ion-sculptor, featuring high currents for high throughput and excellent low voltage performance for high sample quality.
- Maximize sample quality by using the low voltage capabilities of the Ion-sculptor FIB column
- Minimize amorphization of your specimens and get the best results after thinning
- Get precise and reproducible results with maximum stability
- Accelerate your FIB applications with fast probe current exchanges
- Perform high throughput experiments thanks to beam currents of up to 100 nA
- Achieve exceptional FIB resolution of less than 3 nm
- The Crossbeam family comes with automatic FIB emission recovery for long-term experiment
Within ZEISS Crossbeam Family you have the choice between Crossbeam 350 or Crossbeam 550. Exploit the variable pressure capabilities of Crossbeam 350 (optional). Or use Crossbeam 550 for your most demanding characterizations and choose the chamber size, standard or large, that best suits your samples.
ZEISS Crossbeam 350
ZEISS Crossbeam 550
Gemini I optics
Chamber Size and Ports
Standard with 18 configurable ports
Standard with 18 configurable ports
100 mm travel range in x/y
Standard with 100 mm or large
Inlens SE and Inlens EsB* for simultaneous imaging SE/EsB* imaging
Inlens SE and Inlens EsB* for simultaneous imaging SE/EsB* imaging
High throughput in analytics and imaging, high resolution under all conditions, simultaneous Inlens SE and Inlens EsB* imaging
* SE secondary electron, EsB energy selective backscatter
Atlas 5 makes your life easier: create comprehensive multi-scale, multi-modal images with a sample-centric correlative environment. Atlas 5 is the powerful yet intuitive hardware and software package that extends the capacity of your focused ion beam SEM.
Correlate X-ray microscopy and FIB-SEM: use the X-ray data to localize sub-surface features in 3D to target FIB sites that are not visible on the sample surface.
Profit from two modules dedicated specifically to FIB-SEM applications: Automatically create 3D data stacks with the 3D Tomography module. Solve even complex tasks in nanopatterning and –prototyping with the module for advanced nanopatterning and visualization engine (NPVE Advanced).
ZEISS recommends Dragonfly Pro from Object Research Systems (ORS)
An advanced analysis and visualization software solution for your 3D data acquired by a variety of technologies including X-ray, FIB-SEM, SEM and helium ion microscopy.
Formerly Visual SI Advanced, Dragonfly Pro delivers high-definition visualization techniques and industry-leading graphics. Dragonfly Pro supports customization through easy to use Python scripting. Users now have total control of their 3D data post-processing environment and workflows.
Add the ToF-SIMS (time of flight secondary ion mass spectrometry) spectrometer to your Crossbeam 350 or Crossbeam 550 and analyze trace elements, light elements (e.g. lithium), and isotopes. Profit from sensitive and comprehensive analyses in 3D. Perform elemental mapping and depth profiling. Benefit from parallel detection of atomic and molecular ions down to the ppm level, achieve resolutions better than 35 nm in lateral direction and 20 nm in depth. Retrieve any signal from the ROI post-mortem.
ZEISS Crossbeam Family
Your FIB-SEM for High Throughput 3D Analysis and Sample Preparation
Filesize: 5,811 kB
ZEISS Crossbeam Family
Introducing ToF-SIMS enables High Throughput in 3D Analysis
Filesize: 1,427 kB
Microscopy Solutions for Steel and Other Metals
Multi-modal characterization and advanced analysis options for industry and research
Filesize: 12,439 kB
ZEISS Microscopy Solutions for Oil & Gas
Understanding reservoir behavior with pore scale analysis
Filesize: 4,587 kB
ZEISS Microscopy Solutions for Industrial Ceramics Research
2D, 3D and 4D Solutions to Engineer New Advanced Ceramics for High Performance Industrial Applications
Filesize: 3,951 kB
ZEISS Microscopy Solutions for Geoscience
Understanding the fundamental processes that shape the universe expressed at the smallest of scales
Filesize: 4,140 kB
Technology Note: ZEISS Crossbeam 550
High Throughput Imaging
Filesize: 2,045 kB
Application Note: FIB-SEMs
X² STEM Lamella Preparation from Multicomposite Organic Electronic Devices with ZEISS FIB-SEMs
Filesize: 883 kB
High Resolution STEM and EDS Study of Chromium Depletion in Stainless Steel
Filesize: 1,615 kB
Technology Note: ZEISS Crossbeam
Reproducible TEM Lamella Thinning by FIB with Real-time Thickness Control and End-point Detection
Filesize: 1,395 kB