Skylet® sun protection lenses have been specially designed for situations in which greater protection is required from UV light and glare, and contrast at the same time. Sports such as hang gliding, skiing, cycling or motorcycling are often performed in difficult light conditions in which high contrast vision is of special importancefor safety.
Skylet® colors are available in both polarized and tinted options for plastic lenses.
- The brightest Skylet® lens with 70% light reduction for optimum contrast
- Cosmetically attractive, orange brown tint
- For activities in diffuse weather and hazy visibility conditions such as skiing, gliding, hiking or water sports
- 80% light reduction for all-round use
- Stylish brown tint
- For drivers, motorcyclists, surfers, hikers, yachting enthusiasts and cyclists who prefer contrastenhancement in medium-to-strong sunshine
- 90% light reduction for maximum protection
- Darkest brown
- For dazzling sunshine and glare, e. g. on glaciers, in high mountainous areas, on water and for flying
- Sun protection lenses with outstanding color contrast in dazzling sunshine and in diffuse light
- Attractive colors
- Uniform light reduction irrespective of lens power
- 100% solar UV protection
ZEISS R&D developed Skylet sunglass lenses to meet the requirements of extreme light conditions. The special feature of these lenses is the markedly reduced transmission for the short-wave portion of visible radiation. The result: even in diffuse light, Skylet® sunglass lenses provide outstanding contrast.
Compared to traditional sunglass lenses, Skylet sunglass lenses display higher transmission in the region in which the eye is particularly sensitive (wavelength = 555 nm). This means that Skylet lenses appear to be subjectively brighter, yet have the same level of light reduction as other lenses.
Direct sunlight is always scattered, with the blue portion of light being subject to the greatest scatter. Our color perception is influenced by this effect, as all colors contain a small portion of blue. This is why, we see the sky as blue.
Due to the blue portion, all chromatic zones are shifted towards blue. The closer the coordinates are to each other, the less contrast is seen. The result is glare and blurred outlines which are particularly annoying in extreme light conditions.For example, dazzling sunshine on water or diffuse light on the ski-run.
The attenuation of the blue portion of the spectrum results in a marked enhancement in contrast, as the chromatic zones move away from blue and the distance separating them increases.
There is another reason why the attenuation of the blue region of the spectrum enhances contrast. Due to the relative myopia of the eye for short-wave radiation, blue light is bundled in front of the retina and superimposed on the other colors – vision becomes blurred.
Skylet sunglass lenses reduce the blue portion to such an extent that the wearer enjoys clear vision.
The best way to experience the contrast-enhancing effect of Skylet lenses is to wear them outdoors on a sunny day. A comparison with traditional sunglass lenses will also show the brightening effect.
- Skylet Fun
Recommended for medium ambient brightness and difficult light conditions such as haze
- Skylet Road
Recommended for medium sunshine
- Skylet Sport
Ideal for dazzling sunshine and strong glare, such as glaciers, high mountainous regions or flying
- All plastic lenses with the refractive index 1.5and 1.67 are available as tinted and polarized Skylet Road, Fand Sport. Only tinted Skylet colors are available in 1.60 and Polycarbonate.
- The transmission curves of products with the refractive index 1.59, 1.6 and 1.67 could differ from the lenses with the refractive index 1.5.
To offer patients true protection, ZEISS has developed an additional anti-reflective layer on the back of the lens, reducing the indirect light reflected into the eye. This extra layer complements the protection offered by ZEISS UVProtect Technology in all clear plastic lenses, which blocks direct UV rays from the front.
More than 90% of UV radiation comes directly from the front. However, a small part approaches the eye indirectly from the sides and back. As some UV rays may be reflected onto the eye by the back surface of the lens, ZEISS anti-reflective coatings are designed to have low reflectance in the UV spectral range.
Back surface UV protection is now integrated as a standard feature into all premium ZEISS DuraVision coatings and mirrors.
ZEISS is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of eyeglass lenses, and is committed to delivering maximum precision and comfort. ZEISS designs and produces lenses, instruments and measurement systems, as well as retail concepts and technology services that continue to raise the bar in vision care.