PALM MicroBeam makes isolating uncontaminated source material simple. Precise detection, laser microdissection and patented laser transport allow you to obtain the homogenous analysis material necessary for meaningful scientific results.
Because analyses of gene expression patterns rely on exactly-separated analytical material, unwanted cells may alter your results and conceal the signals of the relevant cells. PALM MicroBeam prevents this by allowing you to define cells and tissue regions precisely, ensuring your results are exact and reproducible.
- Suitable for laser microdissection and analysis for DNA, RNA and protein isolation — whether from archive material or live cells
- A system that completes the step from laser-microdissection to integrated imaging workstation
- Applicable to cryosections, FFPE (formalin fixed and paraffin embedded) tissue
- Performing LCM even from standard glass slides, e.g. archived material, with ZEISS-patented sample capture technology
- Extendibility – add digital cameras from the AxioCam camera range for fluorescence, bright field, multi-channel fluorescence and extended focus
- Ability to integrate additional components into MicroBeam and create simple workflows, whether for individual experiments or automation with flexible collectors
- Calibration routines that allow you to easily adjust MicroBeam for laser parameters appropriate to your chosen specimen.
PALM MicroBeam uses a focused laser beam to cut out and isolate your selected specimen without contact. The patented laser catapult isolates your target area fast and uncontaminated.
Objectives with a high numerical aperture bundle the energy so precisely that they are able to work to an accuracy of well under a micrometer. You even manipulate down to the subcellular level, without involving neighboring tissue.
The laser pulse of your PALM MicroBeam only affects your specimen for approximately one nanosecond. In this short time heat transfer to adjacent tissue is negligible, ensuring gentle isolation that also allows for live cell recultivation. You even isolate sensitive stem cell specimens without influencing their vitality or genetic structure.
When you are investigating DNA, you need to select your source material carefully. Even sensitive methods of analysis can amplify unwanted material – and the slightest contamination can alter your results. If you are testing individual cells, it only takes one unwanted cell to result in a contamination error of 100%.
PALM MicroBeam solves this problem by allowing you to isolate high-purity biomolecules from heterogeneous tissue safely, quickly and reproducibly. For example, you can separate tumor tissue with a high level of purity and carry out exact, error-free and reproducible mutation analyses. You also successfully investigate archived specimens from pathology or forensics with PALM MicroBeam – and in contrast to other laser microdissection techniques you are able to use your normal glass slides.
Because analyses of gene expression patterns rely on exactly- separated analytical material, unwanted cells can alter your results and conceal the signals of the relevant cells. PALM MicroBeam prevents this happening by allowing you to define cells and tissue regions precisely, ensuring your results are exact and reproducible.
Workflow experience using LCM – June 2011
The PALM Family - A New Dimension in Sample Purity
Integrated Laser Microdissection and Microscope Systems for Live Cells and Fixed Material
Filesize: 4,842 kB
Laser Microdissection: A Key Technology for Microproteomics
Isolate a single cell population Isolate 30.000 cells in one step within seconds Seamless integrate LCM into your workflow
Filesize: 2,198 kB
On-Chip Single Cell Analysis - for PALM MicroBeam
For Single Cell Genotyping, Sequencing and Expression Analysis: Reliable, Safe, Reproducible
Filesize: 2,117 kB