ZEISS Medical Technology Grows in France:
Breaks Ground for Facility Expansion in La Rochelle
- ZEISS expanding location in the region of Nouvelle-Aquitaine
- Room for further growth in a highly attractive work environment
- Mayor Jean-François Fountaine sees investment as “A positive signal for the entire region”
Jena/Germany, La Rochelle/France | 29 March 2023 | Carl Zeiss Meditec AG
ZEISS Medical Technology is investing in the French region of Nouvelle-Aquitaine. An official ground-breaking ceremony marked the symbolic start of construction on a new, modern production facility in La Rochelle.
The new building will serve as an expansion to the existing location in La Rochelle and is intended to create room for further growth with office and production areas for the manufacture of ophthalmology consumables.
The expansion to the existing facility will add 13,897 m² of floor space, 2,000 m² of which are offices. The environmentally friendly, energy efficient building will provide manufacturing capacity especially for intraocular lenses designed for the treatment of cataracts. Construction will take into account the ecopolitical challenges facing the region, which is seeking to implement the “La Rochelle territoire zéro carbone” project by 2040.
“With this expanded production facility, we want to achieve an even higher delivery rate for our solutions and provide our local team with a highly attractive work environment,” says Dr. Markus Weber, Head of ZEISS Medical Technology.
The expansion is part of a long-term growth strategy of the ZEISS Group as a whole, which will see expansions in Germany as well as many international locations, with the aim of creating scope for new innovations and a growing workforce.
ZEISS has been doing business in France for over 110 years. It employs 860 workers there at its locations in Paris, Fougères, La Rochelle (Périgny) and Rueil Malmaison.
“A positive signal for the entire region”
Jean-François Fountaine, President of the Communauté de l'Agglomération and Mayor of La Rochelle, said: "This is a very positive signal for the economic dynamics of our region. We are delighted to be able to complete this project with ZEISS. ZEISS is becoming a major employer in our region and we fully support the group in these investments.”
Carl Zeiss Meditec AG (ISIN: DE0005313704) is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and is included in the German MDAX and TecDAX stock indices. The company supplies innovative technologies and application-oriented solutions designed to help doctors improve the quality of life of their patients. The company offers complete solutions for the diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases – including implants and consumables. In the field of microsurgery, the company provides innovative visualization solutions. With 4,224 employees worldwide, the company generated revenue totaling €1,902.8 million in fiscal year 2021/22 (ended September 30, 2022).
The company is headquartered in Jena, Germany. It has subsidiaries in Germany and abroad; more than 50 percent of its employees are based in the United States, Japan, Spain and France. The Center for Application and Research (CARIn) in Bangalore, India, and the Carl Zeiss Innovations Center for Research and Development in Shanghai, China, enhance the company’s profile in these rapidly developing economies. Around 41 percent of Carl Zeiss Meditec AG shares are in free float. The remaining approximately 59 percent are held by Carl Zeiss AG, one of the world’s leading companies in the optical and optoelectronic industries.
For moreinformation, visit: www.zeiss.com/med