Analyze Topographical Samples in 3D
Your scanning electron microscope measures and analyzes all kinds of samples in 2D: to analyze the surfaces of samples in 3D, use 3DSM, the optional software package from ZEISS. Get topographical information by reconstructing a complete 3D model of your sample’s surface using the signals of backscatter detectors.
3D Surface Modelling
Use Your SEM to Reconstruct the Surfaces of Your Samples
Typical use cases are profile height measurements. They are usually performed by a profilometer or an AFM in an industry research or quality lab, e.g. for the fast assessment of machined surfaces or imprint processes. Both techniques lack the convenient localization of the ROIs that an SEM delivers. On request the measurement accuracy is adjusted for your instrument specifically by a calibration standard with defined step heights.
- Upgrade your ZEISS FE-SEM with the optional package 3DSM Metrology to gain automatic measurements and documentation in compliance with ISO 25178, DIN and ASME and other standards for routine checks.
- Analyze surfaces in 3D and generate complete measurement records.
- Characterize surfaces and profiles including parameters such as step height, distance, nanometer scaled contour, roughness and waviness, particle and grain size.
- Create completely traceable metrological reports.
- Perform a 3D surface reconstruction of suitable samples examined with electron microscopes equipped aBSD (annular Backscatter), an AsB (Angular selective Backscatter, GeminiSEM Family only) or a BSD1 (EVO) detector.
- Combine 3DSM with SmartSEM, the software that operates the SEM, for real-time or sequential 3D imaging or operate in stand-alone mode to visualize archived project files.
- Benefit from real-time operation and reconstruction times < 2s with GeminiSEM; Sigma and EVO delivers the images sequentially.
- The underlying “shape-from-shading” algorithm handles the reconstruction.
- Perform basic measurements such as profile dimensions, and 2D and 3D roughness evaluations directly on the resulting 3D model – with just a few mouse clicks.
- 3DSM now comes with a new GUI, oriented along the workflow steps: position, acquire and correct.
- Benefit from new standard roughness values (Ra, Sa) and new filters for waviness and noise correction.