Article first published: June 2022
For people with low vision who need to wear prescription lenses, it is important to wear prescription sunglasses outdoors to protect the eyes from glare and harmful UV radiation while maintaining good, clear vision. ZEISS offers a wide range of different sunglasses, from high and low prescription glasses to progressive lenses. To ensure you get the best possible protection and still look fashionable, we've put together a few tips to keep in mind when buying new sunnies with a prescription:
1. Make sure your sunglasses offer full UV protection
2. Choose the right filter category and the right color of the lenses
Basically, it is possible to choose between different tint levels, which are divided into five categories (0 to 4, where 0 is clear or nearly clear lenses). They regulate the absorption of incident light and should be tailored to the field of use of the sunglasses: not too dark and not too light.
- Level 1-2 for everyday use
- Level 3 for sunny conditions such as beach vacations
- Level 4 is only for special situations like skiing and mountain tours but is not suitable for driving
3. Choose the right sunglasses coating and useful extras
- Prescription sunglasses lenses with a mirror coating minimize reflections that can occur on the inside of the lenses from light entering from the side or above while looking fashionable and attractive.
- Polarized lenses, in addition to single-tinted lenses, provide higher contrast and clear vision in the presence of strong light reflections. This is beneficial, for example, for those who are sensitive to bright light, often on the road or when doing snow or water sports.
- For all those who travel a lot by car, it is worth having professional sun protection with tinted ZEISS DriveSafe lenses, optionally available with a polarization filter. The special coating improves contrast perception while reducing irritation caused by glare because of harsh sunlight or reflections from bright surfaces.
- Additional anti-reflective coatings such as the ZEISS DuraVision Sun coating, which is applied to the back of prescription sunglasses lenses from ZEISS, ensure clear vision and reduce disturbing light reflections on the inside of the lens. Since all high-quality ZEISS lens coatings always come in a package with a hard coating and a special care layer, this coating additionally ensures durability, easy care, and all-around protection for the lenses.
4. Useful tip: Self-tinting lenses with prescription
5. Frame selection and quality of the sunglass lenses
For sunglasses with prescription, the well-known ZEISS engraving can also give information about the quality of the lenses. The trademark stands for know-how, research, and passion. Don't worry: This discreet ZEISS brand engraving is entirely invisible to the wearer and can only be seen when looking closely.
6. Finally: the perfect fit
Overall, prescription sunglasses from specialty stores offer the same visual acuity and comfort as clear lenses. Even sunglasses without a prescription should offer some quality features. The next time buying sunglasses, it's best to consult with an expert to make the right choice for your needs. Find an optician near you here.