What is ZEISS SmartLife lenses?
ZEISS SmartLife lenses have been designed using the latest scientific knowledge and innovation. The portfolio is constantly updated based on the latest studies and the most up-to-date technology. The core technology used in the ZEISS SmartLife lens range is called ZEISS SmartView 2.0 technology. These cutting-edge innovations can be attributed to the know-how and tried-and-tested technologies synonymous with ZEISS.
Why has ZEISS launched a complete portfolio?
In today's world, consumers of all ages live a connected, on-the-move lifestyle that presents a number of visual challenges. Meanwhile, age-related factors continue to affect people's vision. All of these needs can only be met by a comprehensive portfolio.
ZEISS SmartLife lenses provide solutions for wearers as young as 6 years. Consumers of all ages want a personalized solution – whether that be lenses to correct short or long-sightedness, presbyopia or visual challenges in middle age. Consumers don't think of classic product categories. ZEISS SmartLife lenses therefore avoid using categories such as progressive, digital or single vision lenses in the consultation and communication processes. No matter their age – a consumer will receive just his or her ZEISS SmartLife lens.
Still, the ZEISS SmartLife lens portfolio consists of more than 1,000 different products, which are divided into categories for online orders, price lists and product comparisons. In optical stores, however, customers simply need to know that ZEISS SmartLife lenses are personalized for each consumer, without having to be aware of those different categories.
Are there different levels of customization available for ZEISS SmartLife lenses?
Yes, ZEISS SmartLife has different price tiers and customization levels available.
Will ZEISS SmartLife lenses make other ZEISS products obsolete?
Other ZEISS products and portfolios can remain on the market. However, this depends on the decisions made in individual markets and countries.
Which coatings and extras are available for ZEISS SmartLife lenses?
ZEISS SmartLife lenses are compatible with all ZEISS coatings, tints and other extras like photochromatic features. This excludes special lens designs such as ZEISS EnergizeMe, ZEISS DriveSafe, ZEISS Sports lenses and ZEISS Office lenses.
There is a special ZEISS DuraVision Kids coating for ZEISS Single Vision SmartLife Young lenses which is three times more scratch resistant than standard hard-coated ZEISS lenses.
How will ZEISS SmartLife lenses benefit eye care professionals?
As well as enabling eye care professionals to stock the latest ZEISS lens portfolio, ZEISS SmartLife lenses will also help them to provide a better service for consumers. Although the portfolio consists of more than 1,000 products, communicating the benefits to consumers has never been so simple. ZEISS SmartLife lenses make it easier for eye care professionals to advise their customers, as there is no need to use technical terms or discuss different lens categories.
In addition, ZEISS SmartLife lenses enable eye care professionals to serve nearly all of their customers with one comprehensive portfolio. The target group includes a wide range of consumers from as young as 6 years and older. The portfolio also offers numerous upselling options with different customization levels.
ZEISS SmartLife lens portfolio was developed based on the latest scientific studies and insights on consumer behavior and is updated regularly. Comprehensive tests were conducted to evaluate lens performance and consumer satisfaction. A ZEISS consumer study confirmed a high level of satisfaction with ZEISS SmartLife lenses.1 Eye care professionals can therefore trust the quality of the product. Satisfied consumers and first-class products are the key to a good reputation.
1. External consumer acceptance test on ZEISS SmartLife lens portfolio for adults, n=182 study participants. Aston Optometry School, Aston University, UK, 2019. (unpublished, data on file)
How will ZEISS SmartLife lenses benefit consumers?
ZEISS SmartLife lenses provide consumers with a personalized solution designed for modern, on-the-move and connected lifestyles in a digitally immersive world. Clear and simple communication enables consumers to make an informed decision.
Performance and consumer acceptance tests of the adult portfolio (20+ years) have also highlighted additional benefits for the whole portfolio or for single categories:
- According to 84 percent of the consumers asked, ZEISS SmartLife lenses provide all-day visual comfort to balance their connected and on-the-move lifestyle in a digitally immersive world.2
- High tolerance: 81 percent of consumers adapt to their lenses within 1 day.2
- 98 percent would recommend these lenses to their friends and family.3
ZEISS Single Vision SmartLife lenses:
- Thanks to Smart Dynamic Optics, ZEISS SmartLife lenses provide wearers of single vision lenses with an all-in-one solution optimized for near and far-distance vision. This results in up to 88 percent larger clear fields of view compared to ZEISS single vision spherical and aspherical lenses.
- 94 percent of wearers of the adult portfolio perceived wide fields of comfortable vision for intermediate and near tasks.4
ZEISS Digital SmartLife lenses:
- 73 percent of the participants with digital lens designs from ZEISS SmartLife reported to not feel strained eyes at the end of the day.5
- 81 percent of wearers perceived wide fields of comfortable vision for intermediate and near tasks.5
ZEISS Progressive SmartLife lenses:
- 8 out of 10 consumers adapted to their new ZEISS SmartLife lenses very fast.5
- 4 out of 5 wearers experience smooth vision from near to far across all viewing zones.5
- 80 percent of wearers perceived wide fields of comfortable vision for intermediate and near tasks.5
ZEISS Single Vision/ Digital/ Progressive SmartLife Individual 3 lenses:
- 85 percent of wearers confirm full freedom of vision in any distance.6
- 85 percent of wearers confirmed full freedom of vision in any direction.6
- 8 out of 10 wearers confirmed they had comfortable vision within minutes of wearing.6
- ZEISS SmartLife Individual 3 lenses have up to 29 percent better optical performance and are up to 79 percent more suited to the visual needs and behavior of wearers compared to previous SmartLife Individual lenses.
2. External consumer acceptance test on ZEISS SmartLife lens portfolio for adults, n=182 study participants. Aston Optometry School, Aston University, UK, 2019. (unpublished, data on file)
3. Market consumer acceptance test on the ZEISS SmartLife Individual 3 lens portfolio, n= 174 study participants in DE, CN, 2002, Carl Zeiss Vision International GmbH. (unpublished, data on file)
4. External consumer acceptance test on the ZEISS SmartLife lens portfolio, n=169 study participants (SV=48, DIG=39, PAL=82). Aston Optometry School, Aston University, UK, 2019. (unpublished, data on file)
5. External consumer acceptance test on ZEISS SmartLife lens portfolio, n=169 study participants (SV=48, DIG=39, PAL=82). Aston Optometry School, Aston University, UK 2019. (unpublished, data on file)
6. Market consumer acceptance test on ZEISS SmartLife Individual 3 lens portfolio with n=172 study participants in DE, IT, CN by Carl Zeiss Vision International GmbH, DE 2022. (unpublished, data on file)
When has ZEISS SmartLife lenses been launched?
The worldwide launch started in October 2019. The launch of the latest products “ZEISS Single Vision SmartLife Young lenses” and “ZEISS SmartLife Individual 3 lenses” will start in early 2023 in Germany and will be expanded to other markets in due course.
SmartLife, SmartView, DriveSafe and EnergizeMe are registered trademarks of Carl Zeiss Vision GmbH.
Status: February 2023