Lightweight and highly accurate aspherical mirrors Eye in the sky: optics for observation of the earth
From small special optics to precise large optics – ZEISS has a broad machining portfolio. We procure the material, develop the necessary tools and equipment and plan the entire process sequence up to packaging. Our highly specialized special optics team is dedicated to the realization of special customer requirements. For example, we are one of the few manufacturers that can produce aspherical and off-axis optics with large diameters for use in space.
Manufacturing of large optics up to Ø 1500 mm
Extra large and particularly lightweight? Challenges like these suit us. Large optics from ZEISS have been used in space for more than 30 years. This experience enables us to develop and manufacture high-precision optical components with special requirements, e.g. in terms of size or weight.
One-stop shop for many customer wishes
One partner for all process steps: Thanks to our extensive network, we can provide you with all services from a single source – from material procurement and tool production to transport containers. We can also fulfill many special requests and individual requirements.
Specialized manufacturing processes
Our partially self-developed machine technology enables us to manufacture sophisticated large optics
- Aspherical production on Zerodur and other materials
- Robot-assisted polishing processes for fully automatic precision correction
- Coordinate measurement technology of all geometric data
- Optical measurement technology for determining surface shape by interferometry using holograms
- Application of mirror coatings that are qualified for and tried and tested in space
- Further machining such as grinding, etching and coating via partner networks
≤ 1.50 m
≤ 400 kg
Wave front aberration
≥ 20 nm rms
≤ 0.3 nm rms
Glass ceramic (Zerodur®), Quarz, SiC, Si, Al (NIP)